I’m getting strange behavior when I access My Documents via navigation from My Computer, versus accessing it from a shortcut.
When I open
My Computer and navigate to
C:UsersFoobarDocuments, the location is displayed as
Computer > DriveName (C:) > Users > Foobar > Documents.
However when I create a shortcut to
C:UsersFoobarDocuments and open it, the location is written as a shortened version instead:
Foobar > Documents.
Annoyingly, the “parent folder” (up arrow) button has different behavior between the two ways of accessing My Documents. If I click the “Up Arrow” button twice from the shortcut, it brings me to
C:UsersFoobarDesktop instead of
C:Users, and greys out the parent folder button.
My Documents will also have two different folder views/columns that don’t carry over to the other way of accessing the folder, which is mildly annoying as well.
I’ve found that I can open My Documents as a full path if I open explorer.exe in a command prompt, like so:
> explorer.exe C:UsersFoobarDocuments, but this has the downside of creating another explorer.exe process just to access one folder.
If I use the internal command Start, i.e.
> start C:UsersFoobarDocuments, it has the same behavior as opening the shortcut.
Also, this behavior seems to be the same for any folder or subfolder starting with the currently logged in person’s User folder (so the same thing happens with FoobarPictures, but not BarfooDocuments).
I would like a way to create a shortcut to
C:UsersFoobarDocuments that opens the “full path” version that has the same behavior as if I navigated there from My Computer, but without creating another explorer.exe process.
Okay I managed to solve (or workaround) this in a strange, but functional, manner.
I created a symlink with Link Shell Extension of my user folder “C:UsersFoobar” at “C:UsersFoobar2”.
start C:UsersFoobar2 opens the folder with the behavior that I wanted in the question, so I updated anywhere I wanted that behavior to happen (e.g. shortcuts and hotkeys to my Documents/Pictures folders) with Foobar2 instead of Foobar, and now it works just fine.