This may seem trivial but I’m looking for the quickest method to determine my PC’s IP address within my network.
- This changes regularly as I connect from one network to the next via DHCP
- The connection changes from wired to wireless
- Windows 7 PC (although ideally the perfect solution would work on all versions of Windows)
- Various adapters installed (e.g. VMWare, Tunnels, etc.)
I need to know this as I often run a local web server where I need to access files over the local network… and since it changes regularly I want the fastest method to retrieve the address.
My current flow is:
- WindowsKey + R to open the Run dialog
- “cmd” + Enter to open a command prompt
- “ipconfig” + Enter to get the diagnostics info
- Scroll to or resize the window so that I can see the line in my Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection for my ipv4 Address
- Remember it to type elsewhere… or
- Right click > select Mark > highlight the address > press Enter to copy it to the clipboard
This wasn’t so bad with Windows XP when I had no additional adapters, tunnels, wireless connections etc. but the amount of data returned with this command makes it hard to pluck out.
Surely there must be a better, faster way! (bonus points if adding it to the clipboard is easily accomplished)
Type this into a .bat file. You can then create a shortcut to it and place it in the taskbar, start menu, or assign a hotkey.
ipconfig | find "IPv4" | find /V "192.168." | CLIP
What it does: First find returns all the lines that contain IPv4. If you have multiple network adapters, from example from VMWare, you may want to exclude them. That’s where find /V comes into play, it finds all lines that do not contain given string. For example, that’s what I get after the first find:
>ipconfig | find "IPv4" IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 22.214.171.124 IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.229.1 IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.230.1
Finally, CLIP copies the output to the clipboard, so you will be left with
> IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 126.96.36.199
If that’s not enough maybe someone else can refine it with fancy search patterns.